Textures from Nature in Textile Art
Natural inspiration for mixed-media and textile artists
Harness the beauty of the natural world to create unique textile art pieces.
Learn how to create beautiful textile art inspired by details in nature in this practical and inspirational guide. Acclaimed textile artist Marian Jazmik shows how to use unusual recycled and repurposed materials combined with traditional fabric and thread.
Marian reveals the secrets of her lushly textured and sculptural embroidered pieces, from initial photograph to finished object. Exploring nature as a constant source of inspiration, she shows how to turn a chance spotting of lichen on a tree trunk or a scattering of autumn leaves into glorious textile or mixed-media art. Marian goes on to explore the myriad of techniques she uses in her work, including:
- How to begin with photography, homing in on details in nature.
- How to manipulate images to create microscopic and surprising detail.
- How to translate the images into 3-D work, using an eclectic mix of natural and man-made textiles, as well as unusual recycled materials otherwise be destined for landfill (packaging, plastics and household DIY products).
- Hand and machine embroidery.
- Dyeing, printing and painting.
- Using heat gun and soldering iron to create heavily textured surfaces.
Packed with practical tips, inspiration and illustrated throughout with glorious examples of Marian’s work, this book will provide you with endless imaginative ideas for distilling the wonders of nature into your own textile art.