Health Care Finance, Economics, and Policy for Nurses, Second Edition
A Foundational Guide
Betty Rambur, PhD, RN, FAAN
"[This book] will change how you practice, how you think about health care and your contributions as a nurse, and it will better prepare you to thrive and advance in the future"
-Peter I. Buerhaus, PhD, RN, FAAN, FAANP(h)
Professor of Nursing
Director, Center for Interdisciplinary Health Workforce Studies
Montana State University
From the Foreword
This succinct, engaging text for graduate and undergraduate nursing programs distills the complexities of health care finance, economics, and policy into a highly accessible resource that can be applied to any practice setting. It presents economic and financial dynamics in healthcare as a precursor to policy and advocacy in nurses. The second edition adds graduate-level considerations and is updated to reflect our current political and legislative landscape.
Real-life illustrations support foundational concepts and interactive quizzes reinforce information. Faculty resources include PowerPoint slides, a test bank, comprehensive review questions, and a sample syllabus.
New to the Second Edition:
- New chapter on early lessons from COVID-19
- Adds graduate-level considerations to content
- Updated to reflect current political and legislative landscape
- Expands payment section to include advanced practice roles
- Includes updated information on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, and Supreme Court deliberations
- Presents complex concepts in easy-to-understand language
- Addresses policy and payment competencies that align with nursing program accreditation criteria
- Breaks down complex financial principles to educate nurses with no prior understanding of health care finance
- Includes practical, accessible real-life examples to help make sense of complex health care systems
- Provides interactive quizzes so readers can test knowledge
- Includes a step-by-step, skill-building guide to enhancing professional influence through participation on governing boards
- Compatible with online teaching and coursework